Ah ha ha ha ha. Really not. In all. Due to the fact that Putin's federal government has a lengthy background of punishing reporters that aren't happy to toe Putin's favored line on, well, every little thing. Investigatory reporter Ivan Golunov was apprehended last month on medication fees-- which he firmly insists were composed-- after a collection of records outlining corruption within Russian federal government. (A rescue physician that checked out Golunov stated that the press reporter had a trauma, wounding as well as feasible busted ribs.) Last April, investigatory press reporter Adage Borodin passed away after dropping from his 5th tale apartment or condo. (Russian authorities did not seek a criminal query of Borodin's fatality.)
"Russia has a document of cleaning apart dubious fatalities of participants of journalism," stated Nina Ognianova, a program organizer with the Board to Safeguard Reporters, at the time. "We prompt authorities on both the government as well as local degree to take into consideration that Borodin might have been assaulted which his investigatory journalism was the objective."
Trump's remarks to Putin-- "you do not have this trouble in Russia"-- appear to neglect the physical violence with which Russia handle press reporters that do not compose what the federal government desires. As well as this is much from the only time that Trump has actually commended the power (and also approaches of maintaining that power) of rogue totalitarians as well as tyrannical leaders. Vice versa.
Trump on North Oriental authoritarian Kim Jong Un
* "Well, first off, allow me state that I believe that Kim Jong Un, or Chairman Kim, as some individuals claim, is wanting to develop a country that has excellent stamina financially. I believe he's significantly-- I speak with him a great deal regarding it, and also he's quite right into the truth that-- he thinks, like I do, that North Korea has incredible financial capacity like probably couple of various other establishing countries throughout the globe." (May 27, 2019)
* "Kim Jong Un has actually been, truly, someone that I have actually been familiar with extremely well as well as regard, as well as ideally-- as well as I actually think that, over a time period, a great deal of remarkable points will certainly take place." (April 11, 2019)
* "Chairman Kim has actually been actually extremely open and also great, honestly. As well as I believe he intends to see something occur. So we have actually done-- I assume, equally, we have actually done extremely well relative to North Korea." (September 24, 2018)
Trump on Turkish Head Of State Recep Tayyip Erdogan
* "Head of state Erdogan. He is difficult, yet I agree him. And also possibly that's a negative point, yet I believe it's a truly good idea." (June 29, 2019)
* "Well, thanks quite. It's my honor to be with a close friend of mine, someone I have actually ended up being extremely near, in several areas, and also he's doing a great task: the Head of state of Turkey." (June 29, 2019)
* "Thanks quite. Due to the fact that he's come to be a good friend of mine-- to present Head of state Erdogan of Turkey, it's an excellent honor and also opportunity--. He's running a really tough component of the globe. He's entailed really, extremely highly and also, truthfully, he's obtaining really high marks." (September 21, 2017)
Trump on Chinese Head Of State Xi Jinping
* "And also I like Head of state Xi a whole lot. I consider him a buddy, as well as-- however I like him a great deal. I have actually learnt more about him effectively. He's a solid gent, right? Anyone that-- he's a solid person, goon." (June 30, 2019)
* "Head of state Xi, that is a solid male, I call him King, he stated, 'However I am not King, I am head of state.' I stated, 'No, you're head of state permanently and also consequently, you're King.' He claimed, 'Huh. Huh.' He suched as that." (April 2, 2019)
* "I had Head of state Xi, that's a buddy of mine, that's a really, great guy." (April 12, 2018)
Trump on Russian Head Of State Vladimir Putin
* "Had a extremely excellent and also lengthy discussion with Head of state Putin of Russia. As I have actually constantly stated, long prior to the Witch Search began, quadrating Russia, China, as well as every person is an advantage, not a negative point ..." (May 3, 2019)
* "Many individuals at the greater ends of knowledge liked my interview efficiency in Helsinki. Putin as well as I went over numerous vital topics at our earlier conference. We hit it off which absolutely troubled several haters that intended to see a boxing suit. Huge outcomes will certainly come!" (July 18, 2018)
* "I called Head of state Putin of Russia to praise him on his political election success (in past, Obama called him additionally). Due to the fact that they desired me to excoriate him, the Counterfeit Information Media is crazed. They are incorrect! Quadrating Russia (and also others) is a good idea, not a poor point ..." (March 21, 2018)
* "The male has extremely solid control over a nation," he claimed. "Currently, it's a really various system as well as I do not occur to such as the system, however definitely because system, he's been a leader. Even more than our head of state has actually been a leader." (September 7, 2016)
* "Fantastic proceed hold-up (by V. Putin) - I constantly understood he was really clever!" (December 20, 2016)
That's not a thorough checklist-- whatsoever. However you understand. Trump's affection for as well as appreciation of tyrannical leaders-- as well as the ways through which they preserve their power-- is a function not a problem of this Head of state and also his presidency. When you incorporate the battles he's selected with conventional United States allies (Australia, Germany and so on), you start to understand where Trump's mind is when it involves the favored method to lead individuals. Which's frightening.