*

*
*

*

Share this:
*
*
*

*
Richard Harley, Editor-in-Chief

Town of NOTL warns people to prevent beachat Ryerson Park while water is tested

UPDATE:The to adjust of setting said results of a Wednesday test proved no clues of blue-green algae.

You are watching: Dog dies after swimming in lake

A dog that died suddenly Tuesday after swimming in Lake Ontarioat Ryerson Park coast may have been poisoned by blue-green algae, a Niagara-on-the-Lakeveterinary hospital says.

The town of Niagara-on-the-Lake is warning human being to prevent the area and also has putsigns on benches in the park warning everyoneto continue to be out that the water. Environment ministry staff tested the water Wednesday as part of an investigation into the incident, the city said.

Conor MacNeill, a wilhelm Street residentandowner that the year-oldborder collie called Jack, said the incident occurred while his seven-year-old kid Declan was on a playdate v friends at the coast on Lake Ontario.

"The youngsters were swim too.Jack was jumping around after them and also he just came in and also he laid down on mine feet and also I thought he was just sleeping from gift tired. And 10 minute later, we gained up come go and also he didn't acquire up," the said.

Heand his wife Paularushed Jack to upper Canada animal Hospital on mary Street, wherein he died.

"He was sort of dead, mind dead, castle thought, whenwe acquired there."

He stated the veterinarian saidit looked like "all the symptoms of the blue-green algae poisoning."

The pet hospital post a warning top top its Facebook page Tuesday to adviseof the potential threat.

"We have seen a patient now that was possibly exposed to a toxic cyanobacteria at Ryerson Park beach in Niagara-on-the-Lake," the write-up reads.

"Cyanobacteria can cause both neurological and liver toxicity and can be quickly fatal. Publicly health and the set of setting have been notified and also are investigating. Out of an abundance of caution, us recommend avoiding any swimming (for you or her pets) in ~ this location until lock can finish their investigation," the vet hospital said.

As the 5 p.m. Wednesday, signs were affixed to 4 benches in the park, the closest about 25 metres from the walkways to the water. No indicators were put up at the peak of the stairway or path. Several people were swimming, consisting of a mother and her young daughter, a senior and a pair had their little dog cooling off in the water.

They all acquired out when a surrounding resident cautioned them about the warning signs. None showed any kind of immediate ill effects. Later on that evening and on Thursday, human being were in the water, having actually missed see the signs attached come park benches.

By mid-afternoon ~ above Thursday, two days ~ the dog died, town workers had actually posted warning signs directly at the two entrances to the park's coast area.

Niagara region public health and wellness spokesperson Meredith Maxwell emphasized the visibility of blue-green algae had not yet been confirmed."At this point it is a uncertainty being investigated and not a diagnosis or confirmed reason of illness. This is right now a to adjust of Environment, Conservation and Parks andveterinary investigation," shetold The Lake Report.

"We can’t comment or take action until they finish the investigation and we’re maybe to get true information," she said, adding that pets and also people should always avoid consuming coast water.

The people Health organization says humans exposed come blue-green algaecan beaffected with "a range of symptoms including skin irritation, stomach cramps, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, fever, sore throat, headache, muscle and also joint pain, blisters of the mouth and also liver damage."

"Swimmers in water containing cyanobacterial toxins may suffer allergic reactions, such as asthma, eye irritation, rashes, and also blisters roughly the mouth and also nose. Animals, birds, and also fish can additionally be poisoned through high level of toxin-producing cyanobacteria."

The fatal algae deserve to kill a pets quickly.

"Adog have the right to basically just drink a tiny bit of the water andit can be 10 minutes and they're dead. It's for this reason crazy. I've never ever heard the anything choose this," MacNeill said.

"He was the healthiest dog, strongest dog. Weactually had him one year to the work yesterday. Us picked that up critical year."

He said Jack aided the familycope v the worldwide pandemic.

"It's difficult to imagine thelast 6 months without Jack. He's given Declan so lot entertainment and joy."

MacNeillsaid the key thing he desires to get throughout is that this toxic birds exists andto warn other dog owners to be careful.

"There's a chance it could have been something else but it doesn't it seems ~ likely. There's a very high chance that this is what the is. However regardless, till we understand for sure what's going on down there, nobody must be going into the water v their youngsters or dogs."

He said he wishes there had actually been testing and signs in ~ the beach to warning dog owners of the potential risk.

"I think it goes there is no saying with the variety of people that are swimming under there ... It must be gaining tested."

MacNeill claimed he wants to spread the message around the algae.

"The indigenous on this really requirements to acquire out. For Ontario, Jack's story is a very huge story. We did every little thing right with him. I've never ever heard of this algae. I don't think a lot of of people have heard the this algae. That blooms once the lake gets to a details temperature apparently."

He said if he'd known around the algae sooner, the wouldn't have taken his dog come the beach.

"We're talking around such a beautiful, healthy, complete of life dog, just coming into his own. It's for this reason sad."

An Ontario governmentwebpagehighlights pertains to aboutcyanobacteria."One crucial factor contributing come the development of blue-green birds is the quantity of easily accessible nutrients such together phosphorus and also nitrogen," it says.

"Blue-green algaeblooms can be brought about by farming and stormwater runoff as well as leaching indigenous septic systems. In Ontario, phosphorus often tends to be the nutrient that influences the expansion of algae."

The toxicity algae, i m sorry oxygenated Earth's atmosphere two billion year ago, is toxicity to pets, and was responsible for killing 3 dogs in phibìc Carolina critical year.

MacNeill said the job they were at the beach, the water was yes, really wavy, so he suspects the algaemight have actually come from elsewhere in the lake.

See more: French Researchers: Hitler Really Did Hitler Kill Himself Or Escape

"If this did blow in from means out in the middle of Lake Ontario, it might have landing anywhere, and also people require to understand that this point exists. If that story it s okay out, (across) Ontariopotentially, if one other dog gets saved by somebody not going under there, that would median a lot come us."

Niagara public health has actually information on the algae athttps://www.niagararegion.ca/living/water/blue-green-algae.aspx.

*
Declan and Jack at Ryerson Park beach. (Supplied)
*
Declan and also Jack. (Supplied)
*
Jack. (Supplied)