Q: how much of planned Parenthood’s services are dedicated to abortions? walk the commonwealth government fund those procedures?

A: Abortions stand for 3 percent of full services provided by Planned Parenthood, and also roughly 10 percent of its clients got an abortion. The team does obtain federal funding, however the money cannot be supplied for abortions through law.

FULL ANSWER

We got several inquiries on this topic during the recent budget plan debate in Congress, after ~ Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl asserted this month ~ above the Senate floor the "well over 90 percent the what plan Parenthood does" is provide abortion services. That number was madness incorrect. Planned Parenthood says only 3 percent that its complete services in 2009 to be abortions. The other 97 percent of services were because that contraception, treatment and also tests because that sexuallytransfer diseases, cancer screenings, and also other women’s health and wellness services.

You are watching: Does the government fund planned parenthood abortions

Here’s a chart from a in march 2011 fact sheet, i beg your pardon reported that the group performed about 11.4 million total services.

*

Kyl’s far-off claim was mocked by comedians Jon Stewart and also Stephen Colbert, and also Kyl’s office later on walked ago the statement, informing CNN that "is comment was no intended to it is in a factual statement but rather to highlight that planned Parenthood, an company that obtain millions in taxpayer dollars, go subsidize abortions." that statement, too, prompted ribbing through Stewart and Colbert. Yet the comedic clips apparently did no make it come the inboxes of countless of our readers, who sent out us questions around whether or not Planned Parenthood walk little more than carry out abortions, and also whether or not taxpayer money goes to pay because that them.

Planned Parenthood’s chart reflects that abortions made up 3 percent the its full services. Another way to measure up the group’s abortion services, however, is to divide the total variety of abortions through the number of clients. Because that example, planned Parenthood stated that it “provided nearly 11.4 million medical services because that 3 million people” in 2009. Its 2011 fact sheet claims it performed 332,278 abortion measures in 2009. The would average that about one out of every 10 clients obtained an abortion.

Taxpayer Funding

Planned Parenthood’s 2008-2009 annual report says that it got $363.2 million in "Government Grants and also Contracts." (See page 29.) That’s around one-third that its total revenues for the fiscal year finishing June 30, 2009.

However, not every one of that money is indigenous the federal government. Planned Parenthood’s government resources comes from two sources: the title X household Planning Program and Medicaid. About $70 million is title X funding, planned Parenthood spokesman Tait Sye called us. The rest — around $293 million — is medical allowance funding, which includes both federal and state money.

But planned Parenthood cannot usage the money the receives native the federal government for abortions anyway. According to the department of Health and Human Service’s website, "by law, title X funds might not be used in programs whereby abortion is a an approach of household planning." Medicaid capital is restricted by the Hyde modification to just abortion cases involving rape, incest or endangerment come the life of the mother. Some claims use their very own funds under medical allowance to go beyond that. Seventeen claims and, till recently, the district of Columbia pay for "medically necessary" abortions, according to the Guttmacher Institute. The federal spending plan deal currently bans Washington, D.C., from making use of its funds to pay for abortions.

— Lori Robertson and also Michael Morse

Sources

Planned Parenthood. Yearly Report 2008-2009.

Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood Services. Reality Sheet. Mar 2011.

"CNN Newsroom." Transcript. CNN. 8 Apr 2011.

Guttmacher Institute. State funding of Abortion Under Medicaid. PolicyBrief. 1 Apr 2011.

See more: Dinosaur With Fin On Back Of Head, Parasaurolophus

DeBonis, Mike. "D.C. Abortion funding: the facts." The Washington Post. 11 Apr 2011.